Highlighted
05 Base Camper

Server names.

Is there a character limitation on naming servers or setting up community strings? eg.. only so many characters and/or are there any characters to be avoided.?
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Server names.

Hi Tonia,

i think it is hard to give a general answer on this as the sizes differ between solutions. Do you have a specific area you're asking for? Cisco or Microsoft, and what Server type?
Highlighted
05 Base Camper

Sorry about that. I am talking Cisco Servers and routers that are added to Prognosis for monitoring....you know Publishers, subscribers, routers....gateways...
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Tonia,

The Cisco Server names including Pub and subs should be no longer than 12 characters, after that it will truncate.

With the Community string itself, this is only limited by the SNMP network packet size as far as I am aware of. I have tested up to 50 characters in Prognosis, would you prefer something longer than this?

For Gateway, the limit is 130 characters after this it does get truncated.

Regards

Jitesh
Highlighted
05 Base Camper

Will the truncation cause reported information to be off such as MOS. does it push everything forward and make the report "off"
Highlighted
Community Manager

It would skew reports if you have a long cluster name that shares the first 12 characters of another cluster name. There is a possibility this may occur. How long is the cluster name?

Regards

Jitesh
Highlighted
05 Base Camper

16 characters
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks Tonia,

Is there a way you can use short form/abbreviation?

Regards

Jitesh
Highlighted
05 Base Camper

Do you mean change the names in the prognosis? Without changing the names of the devices? Or do you mean to also change the names of the devices/servers.?

by off I mean a character that is supposed to be in space 15 got pushed over because the server name had 15 characters? there fore making the number count for any variable be pushed over...

Server Name next data trunk and so on
000000000000 / 000 / 00000 /000000 Normal

Server Name 15) Next data trunkation
000000000000000 / 000 / 00000 / 000000 information pushed over
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Tonia,

I will reach out to Technical Support to see if it skews the reports for sure. May even need to run some tests locally. Let me get back to you before I ask you to do these steps.

Regards

Jitesh
Webinar: Keep the modern workforce connected

Unified Communications has always been an important part of companies' digital transformation efforts due to its ability to enable rich virtual collaboration and communication. But with COVID-19, we've reached a break-through point.

Join Bill Haskins, Sr. Analyst & Partner, Unified Communications at Wainhouse Research, and John Ruthven, CEO at IR discuss UC challenges companies are experiencing due to the COVOID-19 crisis.

Join webinar