cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path Insight - Bulk Removal of Unused Interfaces

06 Trekker

Path Insight - Bulk Removal of Unused Interfaces

I am looking for the procedure to remove all unused interfaces from my network gear in the Path Insight view. The tool sees all of the interfaces and I want to remove any that are not in use, but I am looking to do this in bulk.
12 REPLIES 12
Community Manager

Re: Path Insight - Bulk Removal of Unused Interfaces

Hi Cedric,

thanks for the post. So would you know these interfaces or do you look for an automatism to provide a list of unused (operational down) interfaces?
Just for the first part you could go for the "ignorelist.cfg" file within the installation folder and insert all the interfaces you mean.

To have an automatism I would need to request some more information. Let us know what you look for.
06 Trekker

Thanks for the response. I would love to automate the process. Adding individual entries to the ignore list is quite cumbersome. i.e. i have a device with 869 interfaces, most of these can be ignored. What questions do i need to answer to get some automation feedback?
Community Manager

Hi Cedric,

there is a list of operational/administrative down interface with up to 100 entries on the interfaces tab. This is way not enough for you I see. Let me ask for some more information or bring another colleague into this.
Community Manager

Cedric,

just curious, how would you handle if interfaces get used again if these are set to be ignored?
Community Manager

Hi Cedric,

I found a way to help you extending the list of unused (operational down). With that information you can fill your ignore list

1) Run RegEdit
2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WOW6432Node/NetLatency/SwitchMonitor
3) Change WebMaxPortCount to 1000 decimal
4) Restart the service

Btw: You could also use a description filter if that helps to automatically ignore interfaces with a certain description or substring within the description like "10 Gig", "Printer" or so.
IR Partner

I believe IR has a script that can be run against Path Insight to delete ports that are administratively or operationally down. We are running out of licensed interfaces at a furious pace and need to do some cleanup and license rebalancing. How can we get that script and run it against our customers?
Community Manager

Corey, because I have an ongoing project with you, I've been able to directly supply a solution (a script and some tools that will parse out all the down interfaces, and write them to the ignorelist.cfg).

The solution actually uses a tool to query a device over SNMP and get a list of interfaces and their states. This is combined with a script that steps through all devices listed in SwitchMonitor.cfg and create a new IgnoreList.cfg file that contains *all* interfaces on deices being monitored.

However, interfaces that are operational will be commented out (placing a semicolon to the front of the list). The non-operational interfaces will NOT be commented out, and thus will be ignored, and not monitored. Including all the operational interfaces makes it easy to use the ignoreList.cfg as a reference as well.

I'll see if I can get a generic solution/download available, but in the meantime, anyone who needs access to this solution can request it via IR support.
Community Manager

Cory Wagner said
I believe IR has a script that can be run against Path Insight to delete ports that are administratively or operationally down. We are running out of licensed interfaces at a furious pace and need to do some cleanup and license rebalancing. How can we get that script and run it against our customers?  

Hi Cory,

You download that script from the following URL
http://pathinsight.ir.com/download/CreateIgnoreListIR.zip

You need to unzip the contents to your Path Insight folder. Then run Ignore.bat as administrator. It will go through all of your interfaces and automatically create the IgnoreList.cfg file that contains all interfaces NOT UP, i.e. operationally down and administratively down interfaces. Then you can manually tweak the IgnoreList.cfg and restart the PathInsight service.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Alex
Community Manager

Stefan Rottbeck said
Cedric,

just curious, how would you handle if interfaces get used again if these are set to be ignored?  

I think Cedric wants to ignore the interfaces that are not relevant to UC/CC. Some DC switches have over 2,000 interfaces. I believe that only a small set of those interfaces would be connected to the devices that carry UC/CC traffic. Ignored interfaces do not consume PI licenses.
Webinar: The Journey to Microsoft Teams - Readiness Phase (part 2)

Having looked at the planning phase in session one of this series, we will turn our focus to the readiness phase. The all important technical capabilities assessment, ensuring the network, endpoints and users are adequately prepared for the move.

Hear first hand from IR's Global Head of Information Systems and Technology, Jason Schwendinger, on how he has been tackling these issues.

Join webinar