cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Error - How many have I exceeded by?

Highlighted
IR Partner

License Error - How many have I exceeded by?

Prognosis is currently shutdown due to it being in LE mode(GUI and WEBUI), is there a way I can tell by how many licences I am short, even if the product id down?

I need this information to determine the 'magic number' of extensions that i will need to delete to bring is back into the green.

Also, is there way i can get the license file to be checked periodcally to see how close we are to hitting the actual licensed amount, using a threshold perhaps?

Can anyone help please?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: License Error - How many have I exceeded by?

Hello Jonathan,

When Prognosis discovers a License overage it logs these to the WVLOG.txt file. The WVLOG.txt file can be found under the \Prognosis\Server\Configuration directory. The log entries should show the current Licensed number of endpoints and the total seen at the time of the entry.

If there is no License overage, but the Prognosis License expires, then the Prognosis service will be stopped. In this case, the number of endpoints is not recorded in the WVLOG.txt file.

If the total number of required Prognosis Endpoint Licenses is not known, the Account Manager can provide a temporary License that will allow Prognosis to run and provide the current number of Endpoints seen. The total Endpoint number can be used when generating a new permanent License or bring the environment back into compliance.

Prognosis Self Monitoring is an additional solution that monitors Licensing and can alert for License issues. Prognosis Self Monitoring is a no cost solution available from Prognosis Support. To request Prognosis Self Monitoring, please open a Support case. A support case is used to record the Prognosis Self Monitoring deployments can a per installation bases.

Thank you,

Scott Baldwin

@Jonathan_Mc

I will just add to @SCOTT_BALDWIN's answer in that there are some solutions, especially solutions that originated out of Consulting Services that utilize something called "User Records". The number of available user records is also controlled via your license and if you hit that maximum you will also get a "User Records Exceeded" license and some data may be missing.  Our extended solutions come with the appropriate number of user records, but if customers have built their own extractors or a couple other scenarios these user records can exceed the license. 

The most common reason this is seen on Windows systems is because the license for customers has "0" in UserRecords but  in their extractor configuration they have a bunch of thinkgs they are not licensed uncommented but more specifically they leave these two items uncommented. Simply commenting these two lines with a "!" out can make the error go away for those without extended solutions.

! Below are some sample extractions.
EXTRACT COMMAND (FSCOL, DIR.EXT, DIR /-C, 0)
EXTRACT COMMAND (FSCOL, NETSTAT.EXT, NETSTAT -NA, 0)

Note: As of 11.5 there is no query, record, or tool to be able to see number of user records that are in use or which records are classified as user records. Identifying UDEFSRECs instances in the configuration directory is the main way of tracking them down. 

If my answer helped you today, please be sure to mark the resolved button to assist others.

Christopher R Souser - Sr. Services Solution Engineer, Payments & Infrastructure – MSci. PA, CISSP, ITIL.
IR Partner

I hace checked the wv log but it does not state any detail around how many licences we have actually exceeded by

Hello Jonathan,

The License File may have expired or the issue will require more detailed analysis. If the License has not yet reached its expiry date, then this issue is more complex than many of the common causes of Prognosis service not starting, and opening a Support case is appropriate.

Thank you,

Scott Baldwin

Webinar: The Journey to Microsoft Teams - Readiness Phase (part 2)

Having looked at the planning phase in session one of this series, we will turn our focus to the readiness phase. The all important technical capabilities assessment, ensuring the network, endpoints and users are adequately prepared for the move.

Hear first hand from IR's Global Head of Information Systems and Technology, Jason Schwendinger, on how he has been tackling these issues.

Join webinar