Dispatch Manager send email using TLS 1.2

Highlighted
IR Partner
IR Partner

Dispatch Manager send email using TLS 1.2

Please advise is Dispatch Manager supports sending email alert with TLS 1.2. If it is supported, how to configure to do so. As in the new exchange server, the protocol below TLS 1.2 will be removed and we concern if the email function works.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Dispatch Manager send email using TLS 1.2

@PL 

Currently Dispatch Manager uses standard SMTP email protocol which I believe is unencrypted and everything using TLS was updated to 1.2 in Prognosis 11.0 or earlier.  Nothing is currently utilizing TLS 1.3 as far as I am aware and believe there are some other RFEs for encrypted email generation but if you have not put one in I suggest you do through your account manager.

The main alternatives to using email distribution right now is the following:

• SNMP v1-v3 (which v2 & v3 support encryption) - All Platforms
  • Utilizing Prognosis Messaging Configuration to send copies of the Problem Summary to RabbitMQ and then using a 3rd Party App to pick them up off of Rabbit MQ.  - Windows Only

If my answer helped you today, please be sure to mark the resolved button to assist others.

Christopher R Souser - Solution Architect – MSci. PA, CISSP, ITIL.
Highlighted
IR Partner
IR Partner

Hello ChristopherS

Thanks for your information, while I am unable to get your meaning, in " Dispatch Manager uses standard SMTP email protocol which I believe is unencrypted and everything using TLS was updated to 1.2 in Prognosis 11.0 or earlier." Does it mean that some 10.x version already supports TLS 1.2 and what is the version and how. Please advise what is RFEs.

According to your information, I believe that sending Email using TLS 1.2 is not supported even the latest Prognosis version 11.8, please correct me if I misunderstood. Customer is still using 10.3, so I believe the option is not supported, right?

Is there any road map to support sending Email using TLS 1.2, please advise.

Thanks

Highlighted

@PL 

11.0 and earlier are officially End-Of-Life per the 11.8 release notes, so 10.3 is considered a very old version (~5.5 years old) and pre 11.0 TLS 1.0 was commonly used if even present in many parts of Prognosis, in 11.0 all were updated to TLS 1.2 IF they utilized TLS at all.  The customer should upgrade to at least 11.6 (FYI 11.9 coming out in Novemberish timeframe) to be on a FULL support version and be able to leverage the latest features of the product. 

As of 11.8 the default port 25 SMTP protocol to my understanding does not support TLS or any form of encryption or authentication to the SMTP Relay or Mail Server within Prognosis.

I known customers authorize individual source servers on the relay and sometimes even enforce "from" address" formats but there are otherwise currently no other parameters for the Prognosis to communicate with the SMTP server and just switching it over to the encrypted SMTP mail server port won't have it switch to encrypted either.

On Roadmap; I am not in Product Management; but in the limited view I have I do not specifically see a Email / TLS Roadmap item.. but I would assume based on the limited information I have been told that any such enhancement would utilize the new AMQP framework as a source that was introduced in 11.3 and has had several improvements in each version (including Alert Suppression) added in more recent versions.

To help support the creation of a roadmap,  you can submit a Request for Enhancement (RFE) to be submitted to your  your Account Management Team with your specific requirements; those are then entered into a system they have as PCs for review by Product Management and once enough similar onces are aggregated Product Management may create a roadmap item around it or associate it to an existing roadmap item.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Christopher

If my answer helped you today, please be sure to mark the resolved button to assist others.

Christopher R Souser - Solution Architect – MSci. PA, CISSP, ITIL.
Tags (3)
Webinar: Keep the modern workforce connected

Unified Communications has always been an important part of companies' digital transformation efforts due to its ability to enable rich virtual collaboration and communication. But with COVID-19, we've reached a break-through point.

Join Bill Haskins, Sr. Analyst & Partner, Unified Communications at Wainhouse Research, and John Ruthven, CEO at IR discuss UC challenges companies are experiencing due to the COVOID-19 crisis.

Join webinar