cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avaya ASBCE - Anyone on here managed to get RTCP configured so it can be displayed on Prognosis?

Highlighted
IR Partner

Avaya ASBCE - Anyone on here managed to get RTCP configured so it can be displayed on Prognosis?

Hi,

I am pretty sure I have been around the houses with this before, but are there any users here within the community that have AURA 6.3/ASBCE 6.3 and are able to see RTCP information between an IP phone > ASBCE?

I don't believe it's actually supported but someone has asked me but thought I'd check on here.

Currently we only see RTCP between MG >> ASBCE(but not the other direction)

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Avaya ASBCE - Anyone on here managed to get RTCP configured so it can be displayed on Prognosis?

Hello Jonathan,

No. Unfortunately, the RTCP Relay functionality in ASBCE versions 6.x-7.1 is incomplete.

Avaya documentation for ASBCE 7.2.1 indicates some RTCP Relay improvements have been made, but I have not yet seen a working implementation.

Prognosis will be unable to present RTCP data from ASBCEs until the RTCP Relay functions in ASBCE code is corrected and complete.

Thank you,

Scott Baldwin

Highlighted
IR Partner

Re: Avaya ASBCE - Anyone on here managed to get RTCP configured so it can be displayed on Prognosis?

Yep- but there are a number of articles on the Avaya website that 'suggest' it's fully supported. It also mentions it's been tested with prognosis ??

Avaya Support - Knowledge Base InQuira InfoCenter - ASBCE : Does Avaya SBCE support RTCP monitoring ?

ASBCE : Does Avaya SBCE support RTCP monitoring ?
 Rate this Page

Doc ID:  FAQ106471
Version:  3.0
Published date:  10 Mar 2015
Updated:  07 Nov 2016
Author:  
abhishek

Answer

Yes, it does. The RTCP monitoring feature in SBCE updates RTCP packet with appropriate endpoint IP address and hop information. Endpoints are configured to send RTCPMON messages to the SBC to which the endpoint is registered. A single SBC is designated core SBC which is sent to Prognosis. SBC maintains the RTCP port mapping and updates this mapping on a per call basis as part of the SIP signaling. SBC implements a new feature in the application that has the capability to traceroute multiple destinations simultaneously

As of 8-17-2016 it has only been tested with Prognosis

see

Administering Avaya Session Border Controller for Enterprise

Release 6.3 section.

Configuring RTCP monitoring

NOTE: SBCE cannot send the RTCP monitoring information for the trunk calls

Highlighted

Hello Jonathan,

I agree that Avaya documentation states the ASBCE supports RTCP and also states testing was done with Prognosis.

The reality as I understand it is:

• Avaya has done some work to get a form of RTCP working with ASBCE with several limitations:
    • An ASBCE is not able to produce RTCP on its own.
    • If a device (phone) sends RTCP to an ASBCE, the ASBCE should be able to insert itself into the hop data if the ASBCE was part of the call. If the ASBCE was not part of the call the RTCP packet is unchanged.
    • The ASBCE should then forward the RTCP packet to something such as Prognosis, essentially making the ASBCE an RTCP relay.
    • If multiple ASBCEs are used, a "Core" ASBCE should insert hop data into RTCP packets for all the ASBCEs that are configured together.
  • If RTCP packets are sent to an ASBCE, and IF the ASBCE sends the modified (or unmodified) RTCP packet to Prognosis, then Prognosis is able to correctly interpret the RTCP packet and present its data.
    • The ability of Prognosis to interpret modified RTCP data was tested.

The RTCP relay items can be configured in an ASBCE, but the RTCP relay functionality does not seem to be working. Using multiple ASBCEs with a Core ASBCE adds complexity to the issue. The RTCP delivery failure to Prognosis results in Prognosis not receiving RTCP packets from the ASBCE, so Prognosis has nothing to present.

IR shared issues found with the ASBCE RTCP relay functions with Avaya. I believe this resulted in updates to the ASBCE 7.2.1 software. I've not yet seen how these updates affect RTCP data seen in Prognosis. Prognosis 11.4 natively supports ASBCE Version 6.3, and an extended solution supports 7.1. I've not yet seen ASBCE 7.2.1 support in Prognosis.

Thank you,

Scott Baldwin

Webinar: Keep the modern workforce connected

Unified Communications has always been an important part of companies' digital transformation efforts due to its ability to enable rich virtual collaboration and communication. But with COVID-19, we've reached a break-through point.

Join Bill Haskins, Sr. Analyst & Partner, Unified Communications at Wainhouse Research, and John Ruthven, CEO at IR discuss UC challenges companies are experiencing due to the COVOID-19 crisis.

Join webinar