cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Information how perform patch up-gradation.

Venkatesh
10 Guide

Need Information how perform patch up-gradation.

Hi All,

Can anyone help me how can i perform patch upgradation from 11.3 version to 11.4 version. This is the first time i am going to do this activity for our clients. Can anyone please provide guidence how can i do sucessfull this task.

Please provide step by step procedure on this upgradation. And also please provide any vedios related this upgradation.

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

3 REPLIES 3
ChristopherS
12 Sherpa

Re: Need Information how perform patch up-gradation.

Hi the upgrade process at a high level varies slightly be platform and on all non-Windows platforms there are options for even a side-by-side installation.

The granular specifics and caveats for consideration are very different though for each product line. 

On Linux/Unix/AIX/HP NonStop there is an upgrade script you can run. 

Windows it is 'fairly' click and go automated for a basic installation.. but with a lot of caveats without knowing your product line details as there are several considerations.... especially with the addition of RabbitMQ and Postgres in recent versions. 

If you check our online help and simply search for "Upgrade" you will see somethign to start with:

Deployment and Installation > Installation > Server on HP NonStop > Upgrade Installation >

Deployment and Installation > Installation > Server on UNIX/Linux > Upgrade Installation 

Deployment and Installation > Installation > Server on MS Windows > Upgrade Installation

I do not have a video but I have a generic "Upgrade Considerations" slidedeck I can probably find and share.

If you have customizations you definitely should seriously consider engaging Consulting to review with you anytime you upgrade. 

Christopher

If my answer helped you today, please be sure to mark the resolved button to assist others.

Christopher R Souser - Solution Architect – MSci. PA, CISSP, ITIL.
Venkatesh
10 Guide

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your quick update.

Could you please provide what are steps i have to taken before i am going to upgrade ?
I prepared some steps as shown below for going do this upgrading. can you provide your better inputs as shown below step by step in your words.

1)      Verify plenty of memory available for backup and download of new version

2)      Verify all patches necessary are in place.

3)      Create a “Manual Backup” file.

4)      Make sure all SIP trunks have Ping Option allowed in the SIP Profile If not add to upgrade plan.

5)      Perform an upgrade test. Open a case with Prognosis and request a test of the install file.            Attach a zip containing the Prognosis.  A Test will be run to identify any issues we might have.

6)      Have said issue fixes available.

7)      Have NetEnrich Window engineer on standby

Implementation:

1.      Backup Prognosis:

1.1.   Run an IRFAX and copy the resulting zip file to the Manual Backup folder.

1.2.   Copy License file into Manual Backup Folder.

1.3.   In the Services directory stop the WWW service and the Prognosis service.

1.4.   Copy and Paste current Prognosis folder entirely and paste into the Manual Backup folder.

1.5.   Open the command prompt as administrator and navigate to C:\Prognosis\BackupRestore.

1.6.   Run the PrognosisBackup.bat file.  When complete copy to Manual Backup Folder.

1.7.   Have Prognosis 24/7 support number available

2.      Implement Upgrade

2.1.   Download and install Prognosis Patch 11.2 (4)

2.2.   Verify Patch is in place

2.3.   Download Installer for Prognosis 11.3

2.4.   Run Install

2.5.   Open the command prompt as administrator and navigate to C:\Prognosis\BackupRestore.

2.6.   Run the restore file and wait for it to complete.

2.6.1.                  Restart WWW services

2.6.2.                  Restart Prognosis

2.6.3.                  Go into Windows Client and start CiscoDev, Ciscoexpress and Syslog

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

ChristopherS
12 Sherpa

There are some details in there that are specific to your environment and product line (and I'm not familar with our Cisco Solution) but you have several of the key points to cover. 

I will comment that this particular step is difficult for many to perform considering the large (and growing) size of the Prognosis directory and even gets larger in future releases. If you have your Prognosis databases also it is even more difficult so I will expand on some of the steps you can do yourself and should be doing anyway outside of a upgrade cycle. Maybe it works for you.. but short of the dry run itself that support does you can do a lot of it yourself and some of it support won't do (like #1) below.

5)      Perform an upgrade test. Open a case with Prognosis and request a test of the install file.            Attach a zip containing the Prognosis.  A Test will be run to identify any issues we might have.

1) Be very clear on what customizations you have and all components of them and where they are located. This goes for extended solutions, analysts, thresholds, and displays.  Make seperate backups of them and ensure the copies you have match what is actually running.  IF you do have customizations you may need to engage support to support those customizations.

2) Have a good and recent IRFAX while in the planning stages.. and know why any errors in your WVLOG are occurring before the upgrade if possible, if you go into an upgrade with a lot of errors it make contribute to a failure.. there is a lot of extra stuff going on in WVLOG as well so being able to read your WVLOG and your IRFAX are good skills to have. I have gone into some customer sites and they hadn't been looking at it and their WVLOG is rolling constantly and its a simple fix. 

3) Make backups of your Prognosis databases, when the database is stopped.

4) As part of your preperation you can see your patching history of the system without an IRFAX by running a command line command of "irpatch -l" 

On Installation:

1) Ensure there are no OS patches that have set the pending reboot flag (windows) and if at all possible sometimes rebooting the system (and being able to do so during an ugprade) might be helpful. Its rare you have to reboot the system during an Upgrade.. but sometimes it helps.  Some customers going to 11.3 / 11.4 have had problems with the Postgres installation in particular that required some extra effort. 

If my answer helped you today, please be sure to mark the resolved button to assist others.

Christopher R Souser - Solution Architect – MSci. PA, CISSP, ITIL.