From time to time there will be a need to manually stop the Prognosis service such as:
- to install a Prognosis patch
- for Windows server maintenance reboots (manually stopping the Prognosis service is recommended before a server reboot / Windows restart.)
On a busy server handling high load the Prognosis service may fail to stop with this pop-up error:
------- Services -----------------
Windows could not stop the Prognosis service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The services did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
What can we do when this happens?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Here is a short video on how to oversee a clean Prognosis service shutdown.
Steps in this video:
1. In Services console, find the Prognosis service with Running status;
2. Right-click Prognosis service and select Stop;
3. Note the resulting error 1053 "did not stop in a timely fashion" if it occurs; And if so...
4. Inspect Task Manager, Processes tab:
- ir*.exe processes are the Prognosis service;
- not idle - CPU busy % is not zero, they're still completing tasks;
- add the Command Line column to see more detail of what each Prognosis process is doing.
- a key point is to let the processes stop by themselves to avoid corruptions.
*do not kill the tasks - wait for them to stop of their own accord naturally so that they can finish the data writes and processing.