cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threshold alert email throttling

05 Base Camper

Threshold alert email throttling

Hello,

I have an alert configured to check of a certain message and send me an email alert when that message appears.

When these message happens they will happen a lot (2-3 messages per second until a corrective action is taken.

What I would like to do is to configure my alert so it checks every 1 minute and only send me an alert every 10 minutes. There are probably thousands of messages in that time span, but for that particular message, I just need 1 email every 10 minutes.

How would I configure that?

Here is a test one that I thought I have configured to check every 5 minutes and to send me an alert every 30 minutes. It didn't work as it sent me thousands of emails.

Thanks,

Henry

Threshold condition - Timing Tab.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Threshold alert email throttling

Hello Henry,

Thank you for including the screen capture.

To set the Threshold Condition to check every 1 minutes and only alert every 10 minutes:

1. Set the Check Interval to 1 minute.
  2. Set the Log after (in the Log Frequency section) to 10 minutes.
  3. Click OK and then Start to enable the change to the Threshold.

If the Threshold Condition still genterats thousands of emails, please provide a screen capture of the Where Clause tab for additional suggestions to reduce the number of emails.

Thank you,
Scott Baldwin

Hi @HenryH 

It depends on the key identifier for the data. If same/similar message has a different identifier (Key value) then it will trigger a new alert for each new message (row) coming in. What record are you using, so that we can confirm if your desired behavior is achievable or not.

If my reply answered your question please click on the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find the answer.
Thanks,
Shoaib
05 Base Camper

Shoaib,

Thanks for looking into this.

I'm trying to trigger this alert using NonStopEventEMS

Henry

Hi @HenryH ,

For this record, EventTime + EventSequenceNum + EventNumber are key fields. So if the messages are coming with different EventTime (and/or any combination above) it will trigger its own ON Event and hence fire a alert/email.

The alternative would be to write an analyst that instead of looking at 1 row, looks at summary/combine result and only trigger one alert. Alternatively a new record that is based off the event text (instead of time) could be created to only trigger alert once.

If my reply answered your question please click on the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find the answer.
Thanks,
Shoaib
05 Base Camper

We don't know Analyst yet so we'll skip that.

So can I define a new key and use that in my alert somehow?

You mentioned a new record. Are you saying create a new NonStopEventEMS copy?

05 Base Camper

I ran into the same issue with using a threshold so I wrote and analysts to do the suppressing.  The below is code for an analsyt that looks for  ACI.XPTCP events with event number 2004 and sends an event to $ACOL (operations is watching this event collector for items to act upon) when it detects the first event. it sends the event to the $ACOL.  should the event get logged a second time, it will log a message to $ACOL indicating that messages are being supporessed.  All other events that match are ignored until the 10 minute has passed.  This rule will event count the messages it suppressed and if the messages continue to be logged, it will report the number of times the message were suppressed.

SECTION CONFIG
    CONVERT_TO_UPPER OFF
    STRING        AnalystName[18] := "Test-Rules"
    numeric       TS_Refused
    numeric       TC_Refused
END_SECTION

SECTION RULE_DEF
RULE           Test-Rule-1  PRIMARY
    STRING     RuleName
    numeric    hold_time
    STRING     msgText

RECORD     event
    WHERE      event.ssidown  = "ACI"
          AND  event.ssidname = "XPTCP"
          AND  event.eventnum = 2004
          AND  event.source   = "$EMSDN"
    REFRESH  10 SECOND
    EVERY    10 SECOND
    ACTION
        SET RuleName := "Test-Rule-1"
        set hold_time := @event.time
    END_ACTION
    IF hold_time > TS_Refused + (10 * 60 * 100 ) and ! ONLY LOG ONCE every 10 minutes
       TC_Refused > 0                            and ! there were suppressed events
       TS_Refused > hold_time - (11 * 60 * 100 )     ! There were suppress messages within the last 16 minutes.
        SET msgText := subst ( "ACI.XPTCP.3000 #2004 events were suppressed
                                @TC_Refused@ times in the last 10 minutes." )
        LOG EMS 00202 EVENTNUMBER 02004 COLLECTOR $ACOL  IMMEDIATELY PRIORITY CRITICAL
    END_IF
    IF hold_time > TS_Refused + (10 * 60 * 100 ) !ONLY LOG ONCE every 10 minutes
        LOG EMS 00201 EVENTNUMBER 02004 COLLECTOR $ACOL  IMMEDIATELY PRIORITY CRITICAL
        SET TS_Refused := @event.time 
        SET TC_Refused := 0
        NEXT_RULE_STATE CLOSED
    END_IF
    ACTION
        SET TC_Refused := TC_Refused + 1
    END_ACTION
    IF TC_Refused = 1
        SET msgText := subst ( "ACI.XPTCP.3000 #2004 events are being suppressed
                                for up to 10 minutes." )
        LOG EMS 00202 EVENTNUMBER 02004 COLLECTOR $ACOL  IMMEDIATELY
    END_IF
END_RULE
END_SECTION

SECTION     MSG_TEXT
    MSG 00201  "@event.ssidown@.@event.ssidname@.@event.ssidvers@ #@event.eventnum@
             @event.time@ @event.source@->@event.text@ from (@event.name@(@event.user@))
            - Generated by (@AnalystName@.@RuleName@)"

MSG 00202  "@MsgText@ - Generated by (@AnalystName@.@RuleName@)"
END_SECTION

Great work there, @Leon_Arens . That should be good working example for @HenryH 

Thanks,
Shoaib
05 Base Camper

I will try this out.

Thank you @Leon_Arens and @Shoaib_Dilawar 

Webinar: The Journey to Microsoft Teams - Readiness Phase (part 2)

Having looked at the planning phase in session one of this series, we will turn our focus to the readiness phase. The all important technical capabilities assessment, ensuring the network, endpoints and users are adequately prepared for the move.

Hear first hand from IR's Global Head of Information Systems and Technology, Jason Schwendinger, on how he has been tackling these issues.

Join webinar