cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing SNMP Traps out using a Trap Receiver

Highlighted

Testing SNMP Traps out using a Trap Receiver

If you want to see what is sent from Prognosis when sending SNMP Traps Out to a 3rd party trap receiver or event management system (EMS).  Sometimes it can help to see what is being sent in a trap so you can make any adjustments on your EMS system to receive all the data fields you need

If you have the "iReasoning MIB browser", it already has a Trap Receiver built it.   It is a free down if you don't have it.

http://www.ireasoning.com/download.shtml

You would configure the Trap receiver to listen to any port available.  My example, I use port 163 because I have other SNMP services running on test server.  You can use any port you want.  Then click the start button

TR-Setup.JPG

You would then configure a threshold condition to send a trap to the IP address of the computer that the trap receiver is installed on.

TH-Setup.JPG

Then you can trigger your alert or wait for an event to occur normally.   When alert is triggered and snmp trap is sent, you will be able to review the  trap information in the receiver.  and see the field names and the values which could be used to adjust the trap receiver part of your EMS application.

rec-trap.JPG

1 REPLY 1
Community Manager

Re: Testing SNMP Traps out using a Trap Receiver

If you want to see what is sent from Prognosis when sending SNMP Traps Out to a 3rd party trap receiver or event management system (EMS).  Sometimes it can help to see what is being sent in a trap so you can make any adjustments on your EMS system to receive all the data fields you need

If you have the "iReasoning MIB browser", it already has a Trap Receiver built it.   It is a free down if you don't have it.

http://www.ireasoning.com/download.shtml

You would configure the Trap receiver to listen to any port available.  My example, I use port 163 because I have other SNMP services running on test server.  You can use any port you want.  Then click the start button

TR-Setup.JPG

You would then configure a threshold condition to send a trap to the IP address of the computer that the trap receiver is installed on.

TH-Setup.JPG

Then you can trigger your alert or wait for an event to occur normally.   When alert is triggered and snmp trap is sent, you will be able to review the  trap information in the receiver.  and see the field names and the values which could be used to adjust the trap receiver part of your EMS application.

rec-trap.JPG

Webinar: The Journey to Microsoft Teams - Readiness Phase (part 2)

Having looked at the planning phase in session one of this series, we will turn our focus to the readiness phase. The all important technical capabilities assessment, ensuring the network, endpoints and users are adequately prepared for the move.

Hear first hand from IR's Global Head of Information Systems and Technology, Jason Schwendinger, on how he has been tackling these issues.

Join webinar