cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Config Catchall setting

Highlighted
05 Base Camper

Password Config Catchall setting

Hello, I sometimes use a catchall for the password config instead of having to add in settings for multiple devices.  An examaple would be snmpV2cSmiley FrustratedNMP or snmpV2c:CISCODEV.  One problem with this is if you use the web to update settings this can get clobbered (enhancement request?).  We use a standard password and community string so having to add them in for each device is cumbersome. 

I'm trying to use two catchalls for the same config, snmpV2c:CISCODEV and snmpv3:CISCODEV & snmpv3encrypt:CISCODEV.  This does not appear to work and it will only use one of them.  I have over a thousand devices that are using a mix of v2 and v3.  Is there a way to script this?  I have used ircnfutl to export / import but not sure if there is a way to update the password config.

Thanks

Tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Password Config Catchall setting

Hello @MattAnderson,

I've had success using ircnfutl list_conf for a working PASSWORD configuration, then using ircnfutl update_conf to put the original PASSWORD configuration back into Prognosis, but I've not not tried using ircnfutl to add more entries into the PASSWORDS configuration.

I expect encryption prevents adding new rows from ircnfutl list_conf output, then using ircnfutl update_conf to push the modifications back in. It can be tried, but I don't expect it to work.

Thank you,

Scott Baldwin

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi @MattAnderson,

If you need a to encrypt a password in the same format the PASSWORDS configuration uses, you can use irpqlcli.

The following example would be executed from a command shell spawned in the server\configuration directory:

..\x64\irpqlcli "select EncryptPassword('<mypassword>')"

You just need to substitute <mypassword> with the actual password you're encrypting.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Scott

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Hello @MattAnderson,

The CISCODEV configuration only being able to use one version of SNMP (SNMP v2c or v3) is a limitation of the configuration.

Possible options:

1. Use SNMP v2c for the CISCODEV configuration in one Monitoring Node, and use a second Monitoring Node with the CISCODEV configuration set to use SNMP v3.
    • Each CISCODEV configuration will have a separate list of devices, but at least the PASSWORDS would be simplified.
  2. Duplicate the CISCODEV collector (and use a unique name such as CISCODEV2).
    • Set the CISCODEV configuration to to use one version of SNMP and the other CISCODEV2 configuration to use the other version of SNMP.
    • Duplicating a configuration and collector is very complex and should involve Professional Services.

Thank you,

Scott Baldwin

Highlighted
05 Base Camper

Thanks Scott!  Those are both workable options I can explore.  Is there a way to script updating the password config?  I think the answer is no because of the encrypted fields but just wanted to verify.  

Highlighted

Hello @MattAnderson,

I've had success using ircnfutl list_conf for a working PASSWORD configuration, then using ircnfutl update_conf to put the original PASSWORD configuration back into Prognosis, but I've not not tried using ircnfutl to add more entries into the PASSWORDS configuration.

I expect encryption prevents adding new rows from ircnfutl list_conf output, then using ircnfutl update_conf to push the modifications back in. It can be tried, but I don't expect it to work.

Thank you,

Scott Baldwin

Highlighted

Hi @MattAnderson,

If you need a to encrypt a password in the same format the PASSWORDS configuration uses, you can use irpqlcli.

The following example would be executed from a command shell spawned in the server\configuration directory:

..\x64\irpqlcli "select EncryptPassword('<mypassword>')"

You just need to substitute <mypassword> with the actual password you're encrypting.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Scott

Webinar: Keep the modern workforce connected

Unified Communications has always been an important part of companies' digital transformation efforts due to its ability to enable rich virtual collaboration and communication. But with COVID-19, we've reached a break-through point.

Join Bill Haskins, Sr. Analyst & Partner, Unified Communications at Wainhouse Research, and John Ruthven, CEO at IR discuss UC challenges companies are experiencing due to the COVOID-19 crisis.

Join webinar