cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client reporting Access Violation following 11.9 install

Ken_NAVARRETTE
05 Base Camper

Client reporting Access Violation following 11.9 install

Client running on Windows server that was just upgraded to v11.9.   

Throwing the following error.  

------ Integrated Research Abend Node WRDNE2B8E Thu Apr 15 11:57:21 2021
Exec: D:\Prognosis\User Interface\irgui.exe
Module: D:\Prognosis\User Interface\irgui.exe
Exception_code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
Fault_address: 00970884 00000001:0056F884

How can we find out what access needs to be modified.  ??  

8 REPLIES 8
David_Sun
Expert

Re: Client reporting Access Violation following 11.9 install

Hi Ken,

Did the GUI crash or it kept running?  

To investigate this issue, more diagnostic data will need to be collected. Can you please log a support case for us to investigate? 

Thanks

David

Ken_NAVARRETTE
05 Base Camper

Client started .... displayed splash screen  and the died .   

Case 00050835  was opened  Apr-15th.

Hi @Ken_NAVARRETTE,

It looks like case 50835 was closed. The most recent entry in the case indicates we suspected Anti Virus was preventing access to specific files when the User Interface was being started. The suggestion was to add the necessary folders/files to a 'whitelist' (or an exception) for any AV/Malware application installed on the same system. This is described in the product guide in more detail here.

If you've followed these steps but are still experiencing an issue, please let us know and we can re-open the previous case and ask the case owner to resume their investigation.

If you've ruled out any AV or Malware applications as the source, I can offer a couple of suggestions that are quick and might help in the meantime:

1) The case notes include a reference to this file as being inaccessible:

<drive>:\Prognosis\User Interface\Prognosis Errors\Prognosis Errors

You could try renaming the 'Prognosis\User Interface\Prognosis Errors' directory to something like 'Prognosis\User Interface\OLD_Prognosis Errors'. The next time you start the GUI, it should re-create this directory and the files it contains.

This might not be relevant in your case (due to the error) but still might be worth trying (will only take a minute or two):

2) The GUI will normally attempt to re-open any displays that were open when it was last shut down. If it's trying to re-open a "bad" display that might actually be triggering the crash, you could try renaming the 'Prognosis\User Interface\irgui.ini' file (e.g. to irgui.ini_bak). If you're able to start after renaming the irgui.ini file, that will identify a reference in this file is the source.

Regards,

Scott

Ken_NAVARRETTE
05 Base Camper

Thanks Scott. 

I did try  both options you suggested and results were the same.   

Each attempt to run  ("as administrator" or not )  generate a whole set of   .cnf  files in the D:\Prognosis\User Interface\Prognosis Errors  directory. (those are attached as a zip file)

The only entries in wvlog.txt  listed here:

2021-04-27 09:03:15 F-05242116 errmgrp  02864 irgui    11.9.0       002696 - Error generating error text database.                                            20010 File access failed - Unknown error(20010) - file D:\PROGNOSIS\USER INTERFACE\\Prognosis Errors\Prognosis Errors
2021-04-27 09:03:15   00004000 errmgrp  02867 irgui    11.9.0       002696 - Internal program error -                                                               Run irclean full and try again
2021-04-27 09:03:28 F-05242116 errmgrp  02864 irgui    11.9.0       000776 - Error generating error text database.                                            20010 File access failed - Unknown error(20010) - file D:\PROGNOSIS\USER INTERFACE\\Prognosis Errors\Prognosis Errors
2021-04-27 09:03:28   00004000 errmgrp  02867 irgui    11.9.0       000776 - Internal program error -                                                               Run irclean full and try again
2021-04-27 09:05:40 F-05242116 errmgrp  02864 irgui    11.9.0       002420 - Error generating error text database.                                            20010 File access failed - Unknown error(20010) - file D:\PROGNOSIS\USER INTERFACE\\Prognosis Errors\Prognosis Errors
2021-04-27 09:05:40   00004000 errmgrp  02867 irgui    11.9.0       002420 - Internal program error -                                                               Run irclean full and try again

I have contacted  our sysadmin and info sec groups  and forwarded the  pdf  version of ' application wwhitelisting' from the link you shared.  

Thanks for the update Ken! Please let us know if the problem persists after your security team has made the suggested changes and we can re-open the case to investigate further.

Regards,

Scott

Ken_NAVARRETTE
05 Base Camper

One more log file i was able to  pull off the server where this was installed. 

I did remove prognosis completely  and  executed the install  (run as administrator). 

Do have a ticket open with our McAfee group waiting for someone there to look into it.

Scot_Clark
Sage

Hi Ken,

I have case 50835 on this issue open.  I got your latest diagnostics and permissions listing.  Based on some of the messages seen in the Procmon logs, the gui process is expecting folders in files to be in place that are not there.  the \Prognosis\User INterface\Solution folder is missing.  If the folder and files not there, the GUI process will create those folders for you.  In your case, the needed folder(s) are not able to be created, possibly a permissions issue.  I will review the latest collection of diags and let you know what I find.  I can post in here as well for those following this issue as well.

Thanks

Scot

Ken_NAVARRETTE
05 Base Camper

Security review by our McAfee  group and Wintel SysAdmin group completed.  they found nothing to indicate any access issues  ....   have attached a detailed log startup of irgui  on v11.4  server (wsdie....)    along with the v11.9 server (wrdne...)

Webinar: Keep the modern workforce connected

Unified Communications has always been an important part of companies' digital transformation efforts due to its ability to enable rich virtual collaboration and communication. But with COVID-19, we've reached a break-through point.

Join Bill Haskins, Sr. Analyst & Partner, Unified Communications at Wainhouse Research, and John Ruthven, CEO at IR discuss UC challenges companies are experiencing due to the COVOID-19 crisis.

Join webinar