Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching the Users List

Charles_Zhang
05 Base Camper

Searching the Users List

Greetings!

Wanted to know if there's a way to query for a specific user from the Users list Prognosis grabs from AD. Currently, it's rendering user info as a list (top 1000). You can filter on alphabetical order but the majority of our user IDs begin with either "N" or "Z". Hence, the list will not show all users in a site within our environment.

Looking for input on whether there's a way to narrow down results to a specific user within the same view as Users (not using the Global Search option) and if there's a feature enhancement request in the works to continue loading a user list (if >1000; button to trigger additional user data pull) vs. loading just the first 1000 users.

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
Anon
Community Manager

Re: Searching the Users List

Hi Charles,

how many users are we talking about. Maybe it would help to change the limit of the display to a higher number than 1000. It's just that numbers that are in a range of > 10000 may start to slow down the time and provide a huge list you have to scroll through.

Also I wonder if your primary goal is trying to find a specific user what environment do you monitor with Prognosis?
The global search itself can be used with Key Words that reduce the search time dramatically. For example if you search for a Cisco user just typing in the name and start the global search can take some seconds but if you type "Cisco User: " you'll get the results right away.

You can find more information on the key words in our documentation under Home > User Interfaces > Web Application > View Systems > Search Tool
Charles_Zhang
05 Base Camper

Hi Stefan, we have 50,000+ users on our 2 main sites. We have upcoming smaller sites that will be below 10,000. Where can I go to change the user count that returned?

Yes, primary goal is perform searches for users while in that User list view. It has useful info about user type and their home site/pool. Understand the Global Search can focus onto a user but it's a different view and results can't be exported to Excel.
Shoaib_Dilawar
12 Sherpa

Hi Charles,

It seems like a search box in the user display would meet your expectations. This can be done via custom dashboard that adds a search box to the top of the dashboard where you can type username and it can refresh the page with entered value, that can be regex as well.

I had done one similar to this for a customer who wanted to search with in tickets. If this is something you'd need help with, you can engage consulting via your account manager.

Here is example of search alert dashboard.Search-Alerts.png

If my reply answered your question please click on the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find the answer.
Thanks,
Shoaib
Charles_Zhang
05 Base Camper

Thanks Shoaib - understood. At the moment, we don't have the option to engage Consulting Services as we're still in a Pilot phase - perhaps once we move forward.

Going back to Stefan's post - where can I change the user limit from 1000 to a higher threshold? Would that be in the Prognosis Client?
Shoaib_Dilawar
12 Sherpa

Charles Zhang said
Thanks Shoaib - understood. At the moment, we don't have the option to engage Consulting Services as we're still in a Pilot phase - perhaps once we move forward.

Going back to Stefan's post - where can I change the user limit from 1000 to a higher threshold? Would that be in the Prognosis Client?  

Here is a way to increase the limit, however, make sure you don't overkill it. Any number above few thousands would significantly slow down the webUI performance for the display, and it may not even load if it has to list 10K users.

Once you up the limit, save changes and 'Send to Web'.

SfB-user-limit.png

If my reply answered your question please click on the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find the answer.
Thanks,
Shoaib
tobyr
alumni

Hi Shoaib,

Unfortunately I don't think the procedure you describe will work for this particular display. The Development team have customized the webUI version of the Lync - User List display. Any changes made to the display in the Prognosis Client will be over-ridden by the Development team's customization when you 'Send to Web'.
tobyr
alumni

Hi Charles,

If what you really want is a complete list of users (including all the data from the Lync - User List display) in an excel document, then there are other ways to do this.

You could pipe the output from the PQL command line interface to a file and import the file into excel as tab delimited text data. This is quite straight forward:
- open a cmd prompt and change directory to Prognosis\Server
- execute the following command
irpqcli "select * from LyncUsers node all" > LyncUsers.csv
- open a new workbook in excel and import LyncUsers.csv using Data > Get External Data > From Text. Check 'Delimited' and check 'Tab' as the delimiter.

Another option would be to create your own custom display in the Prognosis Client on the LyncUsers record and use the Client's export to excel feature.

If you really want to change the limit in the WebUI Lync - User List dashboard then this can be done, but the process is a little bit more involved. This sort of task would normally be carried out with the aid of support, by an IR consultant or other Prognosis 'super user'. Carried out incorrectly, it could corrupt the Lync - User List dashboard or negatively impact the performance of the WebUI.

If you would like a Prognosis 'super user' initiation, post back and I'll outline the steps required.
Charles_Zhang
05 Base Camper

Many thanks Toby for additional suggestions, really appreciate that, but I'm looking for something that's user-friendly and relatively easy to implement/maintain. For additional context, the primary users of Prognosis will be our Ops team (on various tier levels) that would field initial Skype trouble tickets and having something that they can easily access from out-of-the-box menus (in the WebUI) would be key. Hence, your initial 2 suggestions may work as workarounds (the 2nd suggestion may work but we will need additional training on how to create custom displays) but not the strategic direction we'd like to move forward.

I am (and a few other colleagues) are interested in the "super user" initiation. Appreciate it if you can reply back with steps to proceed.

Thanks!
-cz
Charles_Zhang
05 Base Camper

BTW Toby, I just tried exporting all users using the irpqlcli command you posted but was only able to get the list for a portion of our sites (6K out of 162K). Anything else I should be checking for?