Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prognosis supported SHA authentication versions for SNMPv3

Timon_Dennis
06 Trekker

Prognosis supported SHA authentication versions for SNMPv3

Hi,

Wondering if you can tell me what version(s) of the SHA authentication protocol Prognosis supports for SNMPv3 polling?  Couldn't find anything in online documents or in the Community.  We're currently testing migrating our Oracle SBCs from SNMPv2 to v3 for polling and running into issues with the SBCs correctly receiving the authentication.  This isn't limited to Prognosis as we'e experiencing same with another NMS tool we're testing with.  Oracle support believe this may be a compatibility issue with the SHA versions available to configure on the SBC (256 and 512) and what the tools we are testing with are sending for version.  Not convinced that is the issue, but hoping to rule it out.

Thanks!

Tim

2 REPLIES 2
SCOTT_BALDWIN
Expert

Re: Prognosis supported SHA authentication versions for SNMPv3

Hello @Timon_Dennis,

Prognosis has supported SNMP SHA-256 (and lower) from before Prognosis version 11.x was introduced.

I believe SNMP SHA-512 support was added on or before FIPS compliance was introduced in Prognosis version 11.6.

If SNMP SHA-512 is required instead of SHA-256, and Prognosis is not able to connect to the SBCs using SNMP SHA-512, please open a support case and we can look further into this issue.

Thank you,
Scott Baldwin

Timon_Dennis
06 Trekker

Re: Prognosis supported SHA authentication versions for SNMPv3

Thanks for the information Scott.  We are experiencing the same issue when testing from one of our other NMS solutions, so I'm pretty certain the issue is on the configuration side of the Oracle SBCs we are testing enabling SNMPv3 on.  Just had to confirm SHA-256 and/or 512 were supported by Prognosis since Oracle Support was inquiring as they work with us to troubleshoot the connectivitgy issue.  If further assistance is needed troubleshooting from the Prognosis side later on, I'll be sure to reach out to IR Support.

Tim