Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prognosis ODBC destination and database creation

Guillaume
05 Base Camper

Prognosis ODBC destination and database creation

Hi,

When using an ODBC connection as a Prognosis database type, is Prognosis able to create the destination database (on the RDBMS)?
Given the user used for the ODBC connection has that authorization on the RDBMS, of course.

I've been doing some testing with MariaDB and so far my observation is that Prognosis cannot create the destination database.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Prognosis ODBC destination and database creation

Guillaume,

Prognosis should be able to create the tables within the database you specified, given user has permissions to create the tables. Once caveat is that if you add/remove a new field to your collection(Record) it will start feeding into a new table.

Try creating the database on the MariaDB and verify if it can create tables within this database.

If my reply answered your question please click on the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find the answer.
Thanks,
Shoaib
Guillaume
05 Base Camper

Hi Shoaib,

Yes, as mentioned, Prognosis is able to create the tables and insert data.
It only fails to create the destination database.

Since we'll probable have to segregate data by customer, each one having its own database, it would just have been more convenient to configure one DSN on the server, specify the ODBC_DBNAME in the database configuration file and let Prognosis the target database.

Anyways, manually creating the destination DB beforehand doesn't require a lot of work.

Thank you Shoaib

Good to know that it worked.

As a side note, ideally you'd like to create 'staging tables' in your database, where prognosis feeds data into. Then, you can use ETL jobs to transform this raw data into more normalized form into final database for longer retention. This way, if a new field is added/removed, you don't loose the table/data that you probably built reports against.

If my reply answered your question please click on the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find the answer.
Thanks,
Shoaib
Guillaume
05 Base Camper

Good point, this database would precisely be used as a temporary data staging before the data is retrieved by another tool.
Today we use .csv files but it causes us some issues.

It's always good discussing with you Shoaib.

Have a great one!

Likewise Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Shoaib