Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get alert WARNING, NSK:File Index Levels

Masugi
IR Partner

Get alert WARNING, NSK:File Index Levels

Hello, 

i got some alert warning about NSK: File Index Level at some files (TLF/PTLF) has excessive levels.  

what is the cause of the problem?

thanks.

regrads,

Masugi

Tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherS
Expert

Re: Get alert WARNING, NSK:File Index Levels

File Monitoring (under DISC) on the Nonstop collects this information. Then there are thresholds and/or analytst probably generating that alert. 

The out of the box "NonstopAlerts.thr" has a rule called "File Index Levels" which looks for the "I" flag to be set on the guardian file (REASON CONTAINS "I") .  If you do not want this alert you can disable that particular condition in that Threshold container.

If my answer helped you today, please be sure to mark the resolved button to assist others.

Christopher R Souser - Solution Architect – MSci. PA, CISSP, ITIL.

View solution in original post

Hi @Masugi ,

Just expanding a little on the information Christopher provided:

The out-of-box alert is triggering off the NonStopFileException record.  A file exception is generated in Prognosis when a monitored file has an index level greater than or equal to 3 (by default).

You can modify the following parameter in the DISC configuration to increase the index level EXCEPT records are created at:

EXCEPT INDEXLEV (<num-levels>)

You would need to set this to an acceptable value for your environment.

Alternatively, you could try to exclude the files that you expect to have a higher index level or don't need to monitor by updating the DISC configuration so it's more specific or, you could also modify the where clause  in the 'NSK: File Index Levels' condition of the NonStopAlerts threshold so it doesn't trigger alerts on files you don't want to receive alerts for.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

Scott

2 REPLIES 2
ChristopherS
Expert

File Monitoring (under DISC) on the Nonstop collects this information. Then there are thresholds and/or analytst probably generating that alert. 

The out of the box "NonstopAlerts.thr" has a rule called "File Index Levels" which looks for the "I" flag to be set on the guardian file (REASON CONTAINS "I") .  If you do not want this alert you can disable that particular condition in that Threshold container.

If my answer helped you today, please be sure to mark the resolved button to assist others.

Christopher R Souser - Solution Architect – MSci. PA, CISSP, ITIL.

Hi @Masugi ,

Just expanding a little on the information Christopher provided:

The out-of-box alert is triggering off the NonStopFileException record.  A file exception is generated in Prognosis when a monitored file has an index level greater than or equal to 3 (by default).

You can modify the following parameter in the DISC configuration to increase the index level EXCEPT records are created at:

EXCEPT INDEXLEV (<num-levels>)

You would need to set this to an acceptable value for your environment.

Alternatively, you could try to exclude the files that you expect to have a higher index level or don't need to monitor by updating the DISC configuration so it's more specific or, you could also modify the where clause  in the 'NSK: File Index Levels' condition of the NonStopAlerts threshold so it doesn't trigger alerts on files you don't want to receive alerts for.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

Scott